JapCarForum General Discussions JCF Photography Photography Help and Camera Use Advice on new video camera?

Advice on new video camera?

Advice on new video camera?

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
parthiban
Posting Freak
31-12-2018, 04:05 AM
sprinter2012 Capability to shoot high frame rate at full 1080p, so maybe 120fps as that give nice smooth slo-mo footage?

Slightly confusing thread as you start off saying you want full 1080p at 120fps - which is proper high-end professional video camera stuff costing thousands of pounds, and then settle on a DSLR? :tongue_smilie:

I'm not sure a DSLR will give you the best results if used in the normal "handheld walking around with the camera" manner but there's no denying that they have come on a long way - in fact I believe they're used more and more in video production for that very reason.

I don't think any consumer video camera will give you 60fps though so if frame rate is a major factor, then it's an easy decision. Worth noting here though that 60fps is only available in NTSC mode, it's 50fps in PAL (not necessarily a major concern though)

Worth considering other factors though as the DSLRs will have certain max clip sizes, which limit longer recordings. Also sound quality will be poor, but this can be fixed with an external mic.

Best to think carefully about what you actually want to do with it and what kind of video you want to shoot and then choosing the camera based on what you need from it Smile

2002 '02' IS200 SE Auto - DVD Satnav with Voice Activation - [COLOR="Blue"]Strathcaron Blue - Parking Sensors - 5000K HIDs with Anti-Glare Bulbs - PIAA 6500K Main Beams - LED Sidelights - Mirror/Sunroof Closure - TTE Styling Kit - 18" Styling Kit Alloys with nitrogen filled Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric Tyres - Bluetouch Multimedia Kit - Gromaudio AUX in - Black painted calipers with silver Lexus decals - 12 LED Dome Light - 96 LED Boot Light - Stainless Steel Sport Sill Plates - PIAA Silicone Wipers[/COLOR]
parthiban
31-12-2018, 04:05 AM #11

sprinter2012 Capability to shoot high frame rate at full 1080p, so maybe 120fps as that give nice smooth slo-mo footage?

Slightly confusing thread as you start off saying you want full 1080p at 120fps - which is proper high-end professional video camera stuff costing thousands of pounds, and then settle on a DSLR? :tongue_smilie:

I'm not sure a DSLR will give you the best results if used in the normal "handheld walking around with the camera" manner but there's no denying that they have come on a long way - in fact I believe they're used more and more in video production for that very reason.

I don't think any consumer video camera will give you 60fps though so if frame rate is a major factor, then it's an easy decision. Worth noting here though that 60fps is only available in NTSC mode, it's 50fps in PAL (not necessarily a major concern though)

Worth considering other factors though as the DSLRs will have certain max clip sizes, which limit longer recordings. Also sound quality will be poor, but this can be fixed with an external mic.

Best to think carefully about what you actually want to do with it and what kind of video you want to shoot and then choosing the camera based on what you need from it Smile

2002 '02' IS200 SE Auto - DVD Satnav with Voice Activation - [COLOR="Blue"]Strathcaron Blue - Parking Sensors - 5000K HIDs with Anti-Glare Bulbs - PIAA 6500K Main Beams - LED Sidelights - Mirror/Sunroof Closure - TTE Styling Kit - 18" Styling Kit Alloys with nitrogen filled Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric Tyres - Bluetouch Multimedia Kit - Gromaudio AUX in - Black painted calipers with silver Lexus decals - 12 LED Dome Light - 96 LED Boot Light - Stainless Steel Sport Sill Plates - PIAA Silicone Wipers[/COLOR]

sprinter2012
Posting Freak
31-12-2018, 04:19 AM
As I said at the start, I hadn't looked into it much before starting this thread and I didn't realise that what I'd asked for was pretty expensive. lol

But I've spent a while on youtube watching videos people have shot with the Canon 550D and 600D and they have all been very good.

You can shoot 60fps at 720p, but then use frame rendering software called Twixtor (I think) to then fill in the gaps and make it look like slower with fantastic results.

And I won't be walking around with it, it will all be tripod mounted cinematic looking stuff (at least that's my aim).

I think the clip size is only limited by the card size on the Canons, be when you think about it, when do you ever see a clip from a video that's more than about 30 seconds in one single shot? It might be a slight inconvenience having to stop to begin another clip, but even if it was only a 2 minute clip length it wouldn't harm the end result once edited together.

And to the last sentence in your post...if I bought a video and stills camera that did exactly what I want, I'd have to sell my car. lol
sprinter2012
31-12-2018, 04:19 AM #12

As I said at the start, I hadn't looked into it much before starting this thread and I didn't realise that what I'd asked for was pretty expensive. lol

But I've spent a while on youtube watching videos people have shot with the Canon 550D and 600D and they have all been very good.

You can shoot 60fps at 720p, but then use frame rendering software called Twixtor (I think) to then fill in the gaps and make it look like slower with fantastic results.

And I won't be walking around with it, it will all be tripod mounted cinematic looking stuff (at least that's my aim).

I think the clip size is only limited by the card size on the Canons, be when you think about it, when do you ever see a clip from a video that's more than about 30 seconds in one single shot? It might be a slight inconvenience having to stop to begin another clip, but even if it was only a 2 minute clip length it wouldn't harm the end result once edited together.

And to the last sentence in your post...if I bought a video and stills camera that did exactly what I want, I'd have to sell my car. lol

parthiban
Posting Freak
31-12-2018, 04:52 AM
sprinter2012 And I won't be walking around with it, it will all be tripod mounted cinematic looking stuff (at least that's my aim).
In that case, a DSLR with an external mic will probably give you the best results - like I said earlier they're used a lot now in video production because they really are the next best thing after proper pro video cameras.

sprinter2012 I think the clip size is only limited by the card size on the Canons
I believe it's a 4GB max clip size on the canons, which is 12 mins of HD - but again if it's for car related stuff that's plenty Smile

sprinter2012 And to the last sentence in your post...if I bought a video and stills camera that did exactly what I want, I'd have to sell my car. lol
:laugh:

parthiban
31-12-2018, 04:52 AM #13

sprinter2012 And I won't be walking around with it, it will all be tripod mounted cinematic looking stuff (at least that's my aim).
In that case, a DSLR with an external mic will probably give you the best results - like I said earlier they're used a lot now in video production because they really are the next best thing after proper pro video cameras.

sprinter2012 I think the clip size is only limited by the card size on the Canons
I believe it's a 4GB max clip size on the canons, which is 12 mins of HD - but again if it's for car related stuff that's plenty Smile

sprinter2012 And to the last sentence in your post...if I bought a video and stills camera that did exactly what I want, I'd have to sell my car. lol
:laugh:

Pages (2): Previous 1 2