JapCarForum General Discussions New Members Thinking about returning to the fold

Thinking about returning to the fold

Thinking about returning to the fold

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
jimxms
Posting Freak
24-07-2019, 11:17 AM
Hey boys,

I've got an itch that I need to scratch. I don't think its sexually transmitted, but it's definitely something I caught from spending too much time with sexy Japanese sorts.

I miss the whole Jap scene massively and as much as I love my Merc, I just cant stand the whole "I'll take it to the dealership" mentality of the owners rather than getting their hands dirty. Then there's the tuning companies that a$$ rape you in exchange for parts that should cost pennies. Carbon airbox for £10,000? nothx

Don't get me wrong, I'm not thinking about ditching the AMG just yet, but I've got to have a project to sink my teeth into. And one that might just become the 'main' car sometime in the future.

So I'm thinking about an earlyish '00-03 GS300/GS430 Sport. Bigger than the my old IS, smaller and less 'old man' than my old LS and the look of them are growing on me now after owning a Merc for a year.

Thoughts?
jimxms
24-07-2019, 11:17 AM #1

Hey boys,

I've got an itch that I need to scratch. I don't think its sexually transmitted, but it's definitely something I caught from spending too much time with sexy Japanese sorts.

I miss the whole Jap scene massively and as much as I love my Merc, I just cant stand the whole "I'll take it to the dealership" mentality of the owners rather than getting their hands dirty. Then there's the tuning companies that a$$ rape you in exchange for parts that should cost pennies. Carbon airbox for £10,000? nothx

Don't get me wrong, I'm not thinking about ditching the AMG just yet, but I've got to have a project to sink my teeth into. And one that might just become the 'main' car sometime in the future.

So I'm thinking about an earlyish '00-03 GS300/GS430 Sport. Bigger than the my old IS, smaller and less 'old man' than my old LS and the look of them are growing on me now after owning a Merc for a year.

Thoughts?

Lexuspat
Administrator
24-07-2019, 11:25 AM
Well firstly welcome sort of back to the fold :lol:

Secondly this does not surprise me in anyway I think this is why I dislike mercs Bmw and the such

GS are very and I've never seen one done to the ultimate so I would expect massive things from you on that one

[Image: FB_IMG_1474048273787_zpsnbfq6a3s.jpg]

OutlawJapClub Admin Team
Lexuspat
24-07-2019, 11:25 AM #2

Well firstly welcome sort of back to the fold :lol:

Secondly this does not surprise me in anyway I think this is why I dislike mercs Bmw and the such

GS are very and I've never seen one done to the ultimate so I would expect massive things from you on that one

[Image: FB_IMG_1474048273787_zpsnbfq6a3s.jpg]

OutlawJapClub Admin Team

purplewitch
Posting Freak
24-07-2019, 11:25 AM
My thought is outlaws has girls too and you should stop over writing the swear filter

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]That symbol on the side of my door.. Definition by FirebirdPhil 'Translated it means -
"try to overtake - go on give it a go I dare you......." [/COLOR]
I'm not an Outlaw; I'm a Poutlaw! Purple Supras are the bestest! I love purple .. a lot lot lot Smile
Follow us on Twitter and join us on Facebook
purplewitch
24-07-2019, 11:25 AM #3

My thought is outlaws has girls too and you should stop over writing the swear filter

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]That symbol on the side of my door.. Definition by FirebirdPhil 'Translated it means -
"try to overtake - go on give it a go I dare you......." [/COLOR]
I'm not an Outlaw; I'm a Poutlaw! Purple Supras are the bestest! I love purple .. a lot lot lot Smile
Follow us on Twitter and join us on Facebook

fluff
24-07-2019, 11:32 AM
Having bought my old mans LS at the ripe old age of 28 and owned it for the best part of seven years, and having owned a GS before, the smell of Ralgex is just as strong in both models.
fluff
24-07-2019, 11:32 AM #4

Having bought my old mans LS at the ripe old age of 28 and owned it for the best part of seven years, and having owned a GS before, the smell of Ralgex is just as strong in both models.

jimxms
Posting Freak
24-07-2019, 11:32 AM
Lexuspat Well firstly welcome sort of back to the fold :lol:

Aye I also want a car that's a little more reliable. The Merc hasn't let me down YET, but it's always in the back of my mind that there's a myriad of poorly designed and built parts on that car that are just waiting to bite me in the bottom (is that better PW? Wink ). I never had those thoughts with the Lex, even when modding the hell out of it.

I'm leaning towards a GS430 at the mo mainly because the insurance is cheaper than the GS300 (go figure!) and it'll obviously be quicker out of the box. Only downside is that I've got a lot more experience doing stuff with the 2JZ so the GS300 makes sense there and the 300 is faaaaaaaaaaaaar more common!
jimxms
24-07-2019, 11:32 AM #5

Lexuspat Well firstly welcome sort of back to the fold :lol:

Aye I also want a car that's a little more reliable. The Merc hasn't let me down YET, but it's always in the back of my mind that there's a myriad of poorly designed and built parts on that car that are just waiting to bite me in the bottom (is that better PW? Wink ). I never had those thoughts with the Lex, even when modding the hell out of it.

I'm leaning towards a GS430 at the mo mainly because the insurance is cheaper than the GS300 (go figure!) and it'll obviously be quicker out of the box. Only downside is that I've got a lot more experience doing stuff with the 2JZ so the GS300 makes sense there and the 300 is faaaaaaaaaaaaar more common!

jimxms
Posting Freak
24-07-2019, 11:36 AM
fluff Having bought my old mans LS at the ripe old age of 28 and owned it for the best part of seven years, and having owned a GS before, the smell of Ralgex is just as strong in both models.

LOL. My thoughts are mainly that the GS looks more at home with a bit of a bodykit and a spoiler than the LS does IMO. With an LS you're pretty much limited to the low'n'slow scene if you want to shove some rims on it and mod it up a bit.

Snap btw, I got my LS at 28 too Smile
jimxms
24-07-2019, 11:36 AM #6

fluff Having bought my old mans LS at the ripe old age of 28 and owned it for the best part of seven years, and having owned a GS before, the smell of Ralgex is just as strong in both models.

LOL. My thoughts are mainly that the GS looks more at home with a bit of a bodykit and a spoiler than the LS does IMO. With an LS you're pretty much limited to the low'n'slow scene if you want to shove some rims on it and mod it up a bit.

Snap btw, I got my LS at 28 too Smile

parthiban
Posting Freak
24-07-2019, 11:51 AM
Can you stretch to the newer GS? Think they are a better prospect than the fairly barge like mk2 GS (also a whole lot better looking!)

2002 '02' IS200 SE Auto - DVD Satnav with Voice Activation - [COLOR="Blue"]Strathcaron Blue - Parking Sensors - 5000K HIDs with Anti-Glare Bulbs - PIAA 6500K Main Beams - LED Sidelights - Mirror/Sunroof Closure - TTE Styling Kit - 18" Styling Kit Alloys with nitrogen filled Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric Tyres - Bluetouch Multimedia Kit - Gromaudio AUX in - Black painted calipers with silver Lexus decals - 12 LED Dome Light - 96 LED Boot Light - Stainless Steel Sport Sill Plates - PIAA Silicone Wipers[/COLOR]
parthiban
24-07-2019, 11:51 AM #7

Can you stretch to the newer GS? Think they are a better prospect than the fairly barge like mk2 GS (also a whole lot better looking!)

2002 '02' IS200 SE Auto - DVD Satnav with Voice Activation - [COLOR="Blue"]Strathcaron Blue - Parking Sensors - 5000K HIDs with Anti-Glare Bulbs - PIAA 6500K Main Beams - LED Sidelights - Mirror/Sunroof Closure - TTE Styling Kit - 18" Styling Kit Alloys with nitrogen filled Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric Tyres - Bluetouch Multimedia Kit - Gromaudio AUX in - Black painted calipers with silver Lexus decals - 12 LED Dome Light - 96 LED Boot Light - Stainless Steel Sport Sill Plates - PIAA Silicone Wipers[/COLOR]

FirebirdPhil
Posting Freak
24-07-2019, 11:57 AM
Just bin the Merc and get an aristo.

"Life's goal is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body. But, rather to skid in sideways........
totally worn out and broken, shouting 'Holy ****, WHAT A RIDE!'"
FirebirdPhil
24-07-2019, 11:57 AM #8

Just bin the Merc and get an aristo.

"Life's goal is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body. But, rather to skid in sideways........
totally worn out and broken, shouting 'Holy ****, WHAT A RIDE!'"

jimxms
Posting Freak
24-07-2019, 12:02 PM
parthiban Can you stretch to the newer GS? Think they are a better prospect than the fairly barge like mk2 GS (also a whole lot better looking!)

Yeah I've thought a lot about the newer GS's. The thing is, I don't think they are the best option for a second 'project' car? None of them are tunable (afaik), modding parts are probably scarce/expensive, and I'd only want the new shape GS430 which is like rocking horse poop (GS300 too slow, GS450h too small boot and too much electrics).
jimxms
24-07-2019, 12:02 PM #9

parthiban Can you stretch to the newer GS? Think they are a better prospect than the fairly barge like mk2 GS (also a whole lot better looking!)

Yeah I've thought a lot about the newer GS's. The thing is, I don't think they are the best option for a second 'project' car? None of them are tunable (afaik), modding parts are probably scarce/expensive, and I'd only want the new shape GS430 which is like rocking horse poop (GS300 too slow, GS450h too small boot and too much electrics).

jimxms
Posting Freak
24-07-2019, 12:03 PM
FirebirdPhil Just bin the Merc and get an aristo.

Bin the 3 kids too? :p
jimxms
24-07-2019, 12:03 PM #10

FirebirdPhil Just bin the Merc and get an aristo.

Bin the 3 kids too? :p

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next