JapCarForum General Discussions JCF Photography Video: My first week as a drone pilot

Video: My first week as a drone pilot

Video: My first week as a drone pilot

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
P.Lindblom
Posting Freak
14-09-2022, 02:35 AM
I've had a small toy quadcopter for a while now and two weeks ago I got myself a "real" one with GPS and a nice camera. Here's a video from my first week flying it. It was filmed over and around the island where I live.

[youtube]j5Lbmb13eZk[/youtube]
P.Lindblom
14-09-2022, 02:35 AM #1

I've had a small toy quadcopter for a while now and two weeks ago I got myself a "real" one with GPS and a nice camera. Here's a video from my first week flying it. It was filmed over and around the island where I live.

[youtube]j5Lbmb13eZk[/youtube]

Sparkystav
Administrator
14-09-2022, 04:01 AM
Beautiful views!

Are they hard to fly?

OutlawJapClub Admin Team
Sparkystav
14-09-2022, 04:01 AM #2

Beautiful views!

Are they hard to fly?

OutlawJapClub Admin Team

Sparkystav
Administrator
14-09-2022, 04:01 AM
Beautiful views!

Are they hard to fly?

OutlawJapClub Admin Team
Sparkystav
14-09-2022, 04:01 AM #3

Beautiful views!

Are they hard to fly?

OutlawJapClub Admin Team

P.Lindblom
Posting Freak
14-09-2022, 04:27 AM
Sparkystav Beautiful views!

Are they hard to fly?
Not really. The first one I got was kind of awkward to control at first, but the hardest part is just keeping track of the orientation of the drone. When you fly towards yourself left becomes right and vice versa. With my current drone I've got a live feed from the camera to my iPad, so it's pretty much like flying a helicopter in a video game. If I let go of all the controls the drone just stops and stays still in the air, even if it's really windy.

Here's what the remote looks like with the iPad Mini attached
[Image: DSC_9318_fix.jpg]

And here's what I see when I'm flying
[Image: IMG_0454.PNG]

The first quadcopter I got was a £35 Syma X5C-1. If you want to start flying quadcopters I would definitely recommend one of these.
[youtube]adr09LY9y_A[/youtube]
Edited 26-10-2015, 06:33 PM by P.Lindblom.
P.Lindblom
14-09-2022, 04:27 AM #4

Sparkystav Beautiful views!

Are they hard to fly?
Not really. The first one I got was kind of awkward to control at first, but the hardest part is just keeping track of the orientation of the drone. When you fly towards yourself left becomes right and vice versa. With my current drone I've got a live feed from the camera to my iPad, so it's pretty much like flying a helicopter in a video game. If I let go of all the controls the drone just stops and stays still in the air, even if it's really windy.

Here's what the remote looks like with the iPad Mini attached
[Image: DSC_9318_fix.jpg]

And here's what I see when I'm flying
[Image: IMG_0454.PNG]

The first quadcopter I got was a £35 Syma X5C-1. If you want to start flying quadcopters I would definitely recommend one of these.
[youtube]adr09LY9y_A[/youtube]

is200turbo
Posting Freak
14-09-2022, 10:47 PM
Very nice Patric, what is the range like on the drone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
is200turbo
14-09-2022, 10:47 PM #5

Very nice Patric, what is the range like on the drone?

P.Lindblom
Posting Freak
15-09-2022, 12:26 AM
is200turbo Very nice Patric, what is the range like on the drone?

The specified range is 500m, but so far I've hit over 1000m (3280 feet) without any issues. If you bring your drone to the US or any other country where the FCC standard applies the signal strength and range will double. In the EU the signal strenght is automatically weakened to comply with the CE standard. On the earlier models you could choose between CE and FCC with a switch on the remote, but the newest model uses its GPS to determine which standard applies.

My drone is the DJI Phantom 3 Standard. The Advanced and Professional models can go A LOT further.
P.Lindblom
15-09-2022, 12:26 AM #6

is200turbo Very nice Patric, what is the range like on the drone?

The specified range is 500m, but so far I've hit over 1000m (3280 feet) without any issues. If you bring your drone to the US or any other country where the FCC standard applies the signal strength and range will double. In the EU the signal strenght is automatically weakened to comply with the CE standard. On the earlier models you could choose between CE and FCC with a switch on the remote, but the newest model uses its GPS to determine which standard applies.

My drone is the DJI Phantom 3 Standard. The Advanced and Professional models can go A LOT further.

EmZ
21-10-2022, 10:14 AM
Stunning man.
EmZ
21-10-2022, 10:14 AM #7

Stunning man.

rob
22-10-2022, 03:09 AM
P.Lindblom The specified range is 500m, but so far I've hit over 1000m (3280 feet) without any issues. If you bring your drone to the US or any other country where the FCC standard applies the signal strength and range will double. In the EU the signal strenght is automatically weakened to comply with the CE standard. On the earlier models you could choose between CE and FCC with a switch on the remote, but the newest model uses its GPS to determine which standard applies.

I am sure you can find a way around that Wink

So what happens when it goes out of range? Does it just stop and hover?
rob
22-10-2022, 03:09 AM #8

P.Lindblom The specified range is 500m, but so far I've hit over 1000m (3280 feet) without any issues. If you bring your drone to the US or any other country where the FCC standard applies the signal strength and range will double. In the EU the signal strenght is automatically weakened to comply with the CE standard. On the earlier models you could choose between CE and FCC with a switch on the remote, but the newest model uses its GPS to determine which standard applies.

I am sure you can find a way around that Wink

P.Lindblom
Posting Freak
22-10-2022, 04:04 AM
rob I am sure you can find a way around that Wink

I'm sure at least someone will eventually Smile

If the signal is lost you can grab a cup of coffee and wait for the drone to automatically fly back and land where it took off that particular flight. I've set my return home altitude to 50m to make sure it doesn't hit any trees on its way back. If you want to continue flying you can choose exit RTH mode (return to home) once the signal has been reestablished.

Here's an altitude test I did. The app limits the maximum altitude to 500m, but in most countries you're not allowed to go any higher than 120m anyway.

[youtube]39x_PwiPq2Y[/youtube]
P.Lindblom
22-10-2022, 04:04 AM #9

rob I am sure you can find a way around that Wink

I'm sure at least someone will eventually Smile

If the signal is lost you can grab a cup of coffee and wait for the drone to automatically fly back and land where it took off that particular flight. I've set my return home altitude to 50m to make sure it doesn't hit any trees on its way back. If you want to continue flying you can choose exit RTH mode (return to home) once the signal has been reestablished.

Here's an altitude test I did. The app limits the maximum altitude to 500m, but in most countries you're not allowed to go any higher than 120m anyway.

[youtube]39x_PwiPq2Y[/youtube]

rob
22-10-2022, 05:03 AM
Great.. its clever it comes back.
rob
22-10-2022, 05:03 AM #10

Great.. its clever it comes back.

Pages (2): 1 2 Next