JapCarForum General Discussions New Members Hello all you happy people !

Hello all you happy people !

Hello all you happy people !

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
Mr Reman
18-09-2018, 03:24 PM
Hi all,
I've been thinking about getting an IS200. So, I registered on the lexusOC to ask a few questions. The first reply I got was a PM saying "No mate, Wrong site! You want to get over to this one" (And to be honest, You lot seem to be more my sort of people).

Anyway, Now I'm here I suppose it's only polite introduce myself (And my current car).

I'm a 36 year old van driver...... And that's about all you need to know. :tongue_smilie:

My car's a UK spec 96 MX5 (No, Before anyone asks, I'm straight and I don't cut hair !!! :tongue_smilieSmile. I've had it for around 3 years now and I've only really done cosmetic tweaks. I've not gone for any real power mods on it as I can't warrant the extra insurance costs for a car that does less than 1500 miles a year.

The current spec goes a little like this.....
Lexus rear lights (Not overly impressed with the look of these on a green MX5),
Front strut brace (Due to the suspension setup on these it's a pretty useless mod),
Goodridge brake hoses,
MOMO Race steering wheel,
Hard top,
Black 16x7.5 TSW Hockenheim's with 195/45/16's up front and 215/40/16's out back,
Greenstuff pads all around,
Green mohair with glass window,
"Apex suspension" coilovers,
Stainless cat back exhaust,
Carbing Style Towing Eyes,
Quad low level headlights,
Racing Beat type 1 boot spoiler,
Vented headlight lids,
Clear bumper markers,
Offset numberplate bracket,
Oh, And wide arch spats with 50mm spacers on all 4 corners.

Here's a couple of pictures I took a couple of months back......
[Image: PSF2.jpg]
[Image: PSR2.jpg]
It really does look good in pictures doesn't it...... It's just when you see it in the metal that it looks like a dog.

Since I took those I've fitted the second vented headlight lid and put a spare bonnet on it while I get around to spraying the original one black AGAIN (An epic tail involving a week of prep work and 15 minutes of bubbling due to the paint and lacquer reacting. :cryingSmile.

Once I've finished doing the bonnet I'm going to paint the hard top and windscreen hoop black too. Then comes decision time. I'll have to decide if black and green look good and just respray the remaining outer panels, Or do I decide that I don't like it and have the extra work of spraying inside the door shuts and inside the boot lid too.

It's the most impractical car I've ever owned (At motorway speeds it screams like a smacked child, The uprated suspension seems to magnify any imperfections in the road surface, And It doesn't even have enough room in the boot for one of the road wheels if I needed to use the space saver !!!!)..... BUT, It's about the closest thing to a road legal go cart I've ever been in and almost narcoticley fun to chuck about on twisty lanes!!!

Anyway, It's way past my bed time now (I need to be up early for work) So I better sign off for now.

Scotty B.
Mr Reman
18-09-2018, 03:24 PM #1

Hi all,
I've been thinking about getting an IS200. So, I registered on the lexusOC to ask a few questions. The first reply I got was a PM saying "No mate, Wrong site! You want to get over to this one" (And to be honest, You lot seem to be more my sort of people).

Anyway, Now I'm here I suppose it's only polite introduce myself (And my current car).

I'm a 36 year old van driver...... And that's about all you need to know. :tongue_smilie:

My car's a UK spec 96 MX5 (No, Before anyone asks, I'm straight and I don't cut hair !!! :tongue_smilieSmile. I've had it for around 3 years now and I've only really done cosmetic tweaks. I've not gone for any real power mods on it as I can't warrant the extra insurance costs for a car that does less than 1500 miles a year.

The current spec goes a little like this.....
Lexus rear lights (Not overly impressed with the look of these on a green MX5),
Front strut brace (Due to the suspension setup on these it's a pretty useless mod),
Goodridge brake hoses,
MOMO Race steering wheel,
Hard top,
Black 16x7.5 TSW Hockenheim's with 195/45/16's up front and 215/40/16's out back,
Greenstuff pads all around,
Green mohair with glass window,
"Apex suspension" coilovers,
Stainless cat back exhaust,
Carbing Style Towing Eyes,
Quad low level headlights,
Racing Beat type 1 boot spoiler,
Vented headlight lids,
Clear bumper markers,
Offset numberplate bracket,
Oh, And wide arch spats with 50mm spacers on all 4 corners.

Here's a couple of pictures I took a couple of months back......
[Image: PSF2.jpg]
[Image: PSR2.jpg]
It really does look good in pictures doesn't it...... It's just when you see it in the metal that it looks like a dog.

Since I took those I've fitted the second vented headlight lid and put a spare bonnet on it while I get around to spraying the original one black AGAIN (An epic tail involving a week of prep work and 15 minutes of bubbling due to the paint and lacquer reacting. :cryingSmile.

Once I've finished doing the bonnet I'm going to paint the hard top and windscreen hoop black too. Then comes decision time. I'll have to decide if black and green look good and just respray the remaining outer panels, Or do I decide that I don't like it and have the extra work of spraying inside the door shuts and inside the boot lid too.

It's the most impractical car I've ever owned (At motorway speeds it screams like a smacked child, The uprated suspension seems to magnify any imperfections in the road surface, And It doesn't even have enough room in the boot for one of the road wheels if I needed to use the space saver !!!!)..... BUT, It's about the closest thing to a road legal go cart I've ever been in and almost narcoticley fun to chuck about on twisty lanes!!!

Anyway, It's way past my bed time now (I need to be up early for work) So I better sign off for now.

Scotty B.

Chri5
Posting Freak
18-09-2018, 03:45 PM
ooh i like that a lot Wink is a lexus going to be replacing this???
and welcome to ojc
Chri5
18-09-2018, 03:45 PM #2

ooh i like that a lot Wink is a lexus going to be replacing this???
and welcome to ojc

Mr Reman
18-09-2018, 10:36 PM
Chri5 ooh i like that a lot Wink is a lexus going to be replacing this???

Thanks for the positive comments there. Styling wise it's getting pretty close to how I want it to look...... And that's when I'll end up getting bored and the urge to get a different car will get too strong to ignore any longer (That's where an IS200 will probably come in).

Scotty B.
Mr Reman
18-09-2018, 10:36 PM #3

Chri5 ooh i like that a lot Wink is a lexus going to be replacing this???

Thanks for the positive comments there. Styling wise it's getting pretty close to how I want it to look...... And that's when I'll end up getting bored and the urge to get a different car will get too strong to ignore any longer (That's where an IS200 will probably come in).

Scotty B.

BOOSST
Banned
19-09-2018, 12:55 AM
Welcome to the club, loving the look on the MX5, flared arches and 50mm spacers, my kind of modification :thumbup1:
BOOSST
19-09-2018, 12:55 AM #4

Welcome to the club, loving the look on the MX5, flared arches and 50mm spacers, my kind of modification :thumbup1:

AaronR33
19-09-2018, 03:36 AM
Welcome to the club mate. Love the flared arches!

Honda Civic Type R EP3 Premier Edition

Mods so far
AEM V2 Induction Kit ¦ Blitz-Nur Spec R Exhaust ¦ Rota Grid Drift 16x8" et10 in Bronze wrapped in Toyo Proxes T1-R's ¦ HSD Coilovers ¦ D2 Rear Adjustable Camber Arms ¦ Mugen Replica Rear Wing ¦ Skunk2 Gear Knob ¦ Sticker-bombed Centre Console ¦ 8000K HID Kit ¦ Metallic Purple Brake Callipers ¦ EP Racing Purple Rear Tow Hook

Progression thread can be found here
AaronR33
19-09-2018, 03:36 AM #5

Welcome to the club mate. Love the flared arches!

Honda Civic Type R EP3 Premier Edition

Mods so far
AEM V2 Induction Kit ¦ Blitz-Nur Spec R Exhaust ¦ Rota Grid Drift 16x8" et10 in Bronze wrapped in Toyo Proxes T1-R's ¦ HSD Coilovers ¦ D2 Rear Adjustable Camber Arms ¦ Mugen Replica Rear Wing ¦ Skunk2 Gear Knob ¦ Sticker-bombed Centre Console ¦ 8000K HID Kit ¦ Metallic Purple Brake Callipers ¦ EP Racing Purple Rear Tow Hook

Progression thread can be found here

Moley
Posting Freak
19-09-2018, 11:27 AM
Welcome to the club and I must say what a great first post , well done !!!!!

So are you a butch hairdresser then ?:confused1:

Lexus IS200 Mods--TTE Supercharger, Tein Superstreet Coilovers & EDFC, 6000K HID Lights, HKS Silent High Power Exhaust, DBA Front Discs, Kenwood DNX9240 Head Unit, 19" Rims, TRD Kit, FIGS Bonnet Struts, Greddy Pillar Pod & Defi Gauges, TTE Red ARBS . And Been To WIM twice
Moley
19-09-2018, 11:27 AM #6

Welcome to the club and I must say what a great first post , well done !!!!!

So are you a butch hairdresser then ?:confused1:

Lexus IS200 Mods--TTE Supercharger, Tein Superstreet Coilovers & EDFC, 6000K HID Lights, HKS Silent High Power Exhaust, DBA Front Discs, Kenwood DNX9240 Head Unit, 19" Rims, TRD Kit, FIGS Bonnet Struts, Greddy Pillar Pod & Defi Gauges, TTE Red ARBS . And Been To WIM twice

kevinsgs300
Posting Freak
19-09-2018, 12:16 PM
welcome to the club.nice mx5
kevinsgs300
19-09-2018, 12:16 PM #7

welcome to the club.nice mx5

Mr Reman
19-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Moley So are you a butch hairdresser then ?:confused1:

I used to get a lot of stick from friends about my choice of car, Then I worked out how to shut them up.....

I used to have fun power sliding my old 2.8 Capri back in the day, so when I had Powerstation do a full geometry setup on the '5 I asked them to aim for "Road usable drift car" rather than all out grip. They did a really a good job of interpreting what I meant. The little it lost in overall cornering speed was well worth the extra controllability when sliding around the bends. You just hit a corner way too fast, keep the front wheels pointing where you want to go and use the throttle to choose how far you want the back to swing out. Brilliant fun !!

So, How do I stop friends taking the micky?
... I found reasons to take them out for a "Spirited" passenger ride on a few of the local back lanes I know (Please, No smutty inuendos. :whistlingSmile!

Around the 2nd or 3rd corner's the point where they realise MX5's don't have a grab handle above the window, By the 5th or 6th bend they usualy go quiet. After about 15 minutes they start to come back (I've come to the conclusion that around this time it dawns in them that I MIGHT actualy be in control of the car).

Usualy they stop with the hairdresser gags after that
Mr Reman
19-09-2018, 12:19 PM #8

Moley So are you a butch hairdresser then ?:confused1:

I used to get a lot of stick from friends about my choice of car, Then I worked out how to shut them up.....

I used to have fun power sliding my old 2.8 Capri back in the day, so when I had Powerstation do a full geometry setup on the '5 I asked them to aim for "Road usable drift car" rather than all out grip. They did a really a good job of interpreting what I meant. The little it lost in overall cornering speed was well worth the extra controllability when sliding around the bends. You just hit a corner way too fast, keep the front wheels pointing where you want to go and use the throttle to choose how far you want the back to swing out. Brilliant fun !!

So, How do I stop friends taking the micky?
... I found reasons to take them out for a "Spirited" passenger ride on a few of the local back lanes I know (Please, No smutty inuendos. :whistlingSmile!

Around the 2nd or 3rd corner's the point where they realise MX5's don't have a grab handle above the window, By the 5th or 6th bend they usualy go quiet. After about 15 minutes they start to come back (I've come to the conclusion that around this time it dawns in them that I MIGHT actualy be in control of the car).

Usualy they stop with the hairdresser gags after that

sprinter2012
Posting Freak
19-09-2018, 01:23 PM
Mr Reman Around the 2nd or 3rd corner's the point where they realise MX5's don't have a grab handle above the window, By the 5th or 6th bend they usualy go quiet. After about 15 minutes they start to come back (I've come to the conclusion that around this time it dawns in them that I MIGHT actualy be in control of the car).

hahaa, love that :Shooting:

Very nice looking car, they do make fantastic weekend pocket rockets. And yours is a very nice cleanly modded example :thumbup1:
sprinter2012
19-09-2018, 01:23 PM #9

Mr Reman Around the 2nd or 3rd corner's the point where they realise MX5's don't have a grab handle above the window, By the 5th or 6th bend they usualy go quiet. After about 15 minutes they start to come back (I've come to the conclusion that around this time it dawns in them that I MIGHT actualy be in control of the car).

hahaa, love that :Shooting:

Very nice looking car, they do make fantastic weekend pocket rockets. And yours is a very nice cleanly modded example :thumbup1:

speedfreek
Posting Freak
19-09-2018, 01:39 PM
Welcome. Nothing but mx5 love from me Big Grin

Nice looking motor - and a good choice to go to as well Smile

'99 Lexus IS200 SE Navigator

[SIZE=3]'93 Mazda Eunos Roadster Turbo
[/SIZE]

(Current project)

:thumbup1:Follow us on Twitter and join us on Facebook:thumbup1:
speedfreek
19-09-2018, 01:39 PM #10